Sunday, November 11, 2012

Proposal

-->
Topic: In my paper about how women are pressured to meet societies harsh norms I will compare what I have noticed through out high school to the poem “Barbie Doll” by Marge Piercy.
Exigence/ Intended Audience: I am writing this to inform everyone about how some women, teens and girls starve themselves, and will plaster on make-up to try to live up to the American so-called beauty.
Purpose: I hope that by writing this people will realize how harsh of a role society plays on women and the pressure in which they need to conform to feel beautiful.
Claim: With magazines, songs, media and harsh norms women feel the need to try to conform to them and this is depicted in Marge Piercy’s poem “Barbie Doll”.

Writers Strategy #1: Exemplification: I will use this to show cases of how women try to conform to societies norms. For example, women starving themselves, wishing to be someone that they are not and wearing cloths that they think make them look good. Teens do this so they can fit into certain cool cliques and crowds.

Writers Strategy #2: Description: I am going to compare this epidemic to Marge Piercy’s poem “Barbie Doll” where she writes about a girl conforming to the every so perfect Barbie doll and ends up cutting off her ugly nose and fat thighs and ended up in a casket and the last line is “’Doesn’t she look pretty’ everyone said, consummation at last”.

Writers Stategy #3:Logos: I plan on using facts to help explain how girls are doing whatever it takes to so called look beautiful in the eyes of the popular people- even though it may kill you.

Writers Effect #1: I hope by using Exemplification I can use specific examples to try to tie my topic to the readers heart and use their own experiences to realize my point.

Writers Effect #2: I hope by using Description I can use Piercy’s poem to give a semi-graphic example to realy drive my point home with the poignant poem that sadly depicts the life of many teens in America.

Writers Effect #3: Logos is always good to use in an essay because when you are trying to express a point facts and logic are always needed to connect with your readers.

Response: I realy love this poem because we realy talked about it in depth in my English 1A class and it ties in with this assighnmetn very wall and want to use it to compliment my topic of how women feel obligated to conform to socities harch norms.


Link to the poem   http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/barbie-doll/

1 comment:

  1. Great! I look forward to reading this. I really like how, through this poem, you are able to connect your work from last semester to our current discussion on gender. In connecting the dots between courses, you are building a solid foundation of knowledge that will shape your view on these topics in a very profound way. Well done!

    ReplyDelete